Fireworks Safety Tips Just In Time!

It’s the Fourth of July this weekend, which means celebrating the independence of our nation, as well as many people lighting things on fire for entertainment. Well, we wouldn’t be your local Red Cross if we didn’t offer some safety tips for this most festive holiday!

While fireworks can provide fun and entertainment, they can also be dangerous. More fires are reported in the U.S. on the Fourth of July than any other day all year. Over 9,000 people a year are treated by emergency rooms for fireworks-related injuries, with a 1/3 of those people being under the age of 15. Even something as simple as a sparkler can cause burns or fires.

Here are some useful tips from your local Red Cross to help keep safe this Fourth of July and all summer long!

  • If possible, avoid using consumer fireworks and instead, enjoy public firework displays.
  • If you plan on using your own, only use legal fireworks bought from a reliable seller. Make sure to read the warning labels and check local and state guidelines for use.
  • Do not let children use or light fireworks.
  • Light fireworks on a solid surface and away from people.
  • Light only one at a time and do not try re-lighting a firework if it fails to work the first time. If a firework is a “dud,” wait 15 to 20 minutes and soak it in a bucket of water before disposing of it.
  • Only light fireworks outside and away from people, animals, dry grass and buildings.
  • Always keep water handy, in a bucket or garden hose.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s